FINALLY! Spring has arrived in New England! Isn't it just mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful?
Ok, it doesn't QUITE feel like spring here yet. We hit 27 degrees last night after a nearly 60 degree day, everyone's immune systems are going wonky, flowers are swearing at the frost by night and the frost is cussing at sun by dawn - but it's so close! What's that lyric from that random band from the 90s that sang about a black backpack? "It's like someone's holding on to the tail of the sun..."
With the warm(ing) weather arriving and the long(er) days lighting the horizon for a few minutes more every day, I suddenly feel like I have more time, more energy and, as always, more recipes to try. So - whether the weather is good, or whether the weather is bad, we'll weather the weather together - in fact, we'll do one better - we'll defy it!
I'm officially declaring it SPRING PICNIC WEEK on this blog! Four recipes in three posts over four days - dishes perfect for al fresco snacking, and maybe, if we're feeling energized by the sun, we'll have a picnic food linking party at the end of the week!
I'll update the following links as the week goes on, and provide dumb subtitles to go with them! Today: Star wars:
Picnic Foods Part 1: Cast Iron Skillet Cheddar Cornbread (or "A New Hope-For Spring - aka, this post)"
Picnic Foods Part 2: Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus (or 'The Winter-time Strikes Back")
Picnic Foods Part 3: Those Little Deviled Eggs (or "Return of the Sun" - at least that's the forecast)
Picnic Foods Part 4: Buttermilk-Battered Popcorn Chicken with Honey-Dijon Sauce (or "Revenge of the Frost!")
I know - it's ambitious. Let's see if we can really pull it off - but I think this easy cast iron skillet cornbread is a great way to kick it off!
Cast Iron Skillet Cheddar Cornbread Recipe1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
3/4 cup flour
2 cup corn meal
1 tbs baking soda
1 tbs baking powder
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbs salt
2 tbs honey
4 tbs + 1 tbs melted butter
NOTE: I used a 10" skillet for this - I kind of wish I used one slightly smaller, so you can adjust the recipe based on what size skillet your using.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, put the 1 tbs pad of butter in the cast iron skillet, and stick it in the oven to warm up.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (cheese, flour, corn meal, baking soda & powder, and salt) together with a fork
3. Break the eggs into a separate bowl, and beat them with a whisk or fork - add the other wet ingredients (butter, buttermilk and honey), and mix until thicker, but not "thick" - you don't want to give the eggs any real weight, like with a hollandaise
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the cornmeal and cheddar mixture, and stir until evenly coated, but again, don't beat the poor sucker into submission - just gently fold until evenly distributed
5. USING AN OVEN MITT or something of the sort, take out your cast iron skillet, give a little twist to make sure the butter you put in is even, and pour in the cornbread batter. The butter here browned a bit - no worries, it didn't effect the end result at all.
6. Leave in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the top begins to golden. Not sure if it's done? Do the toothpick trick - stick one in the middle and pull it back out. If the toothpick is clean, your light is green. Yes - yes, I just made that up. Think it'll catch on? Me neither.
And that, my friends, is part one of Cuts' Spring Picnicfest! We still have a popcorn chicken, deviled eggs, and an asparagus dish to go, and we'll wrap up the week with a picnic food linking party at the end of the week!
As always, let me know if you try any of these recipes on www.facebook.com/cutseveryday!
Is tbs. a tablespoon or teaspoon?! I used tablespoons and it was terrible!!! Blah!!ReplyDelete
It's not rocket scienceDelete
It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. 안전놀이터ReplyDelete
Nevertheless, there are plenty of differences between what's authentic and what's familiar. Here is a brief rundown of some of the history behind Mexico's worldwide renowned cuisine. mexican food AustinReplyDelete
It's really a nice and useful piece of info. I'm satisfied that you simply shared this useful info withReplyDelete
us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
CASINO EN DIRECT - TOPSEOMReplyDelete
LIVE MAXIM MAXIM MAXIM MAXIM a été atteint
Baccarat vivant, noir, orge, nouvelle expérience.
You will also need to check that the facilities at the place where the function is being held are adequate for keeping hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Adequate fridge and cooker capacity there is just as important as in the home. Thieb blanc viandeReplyDelete
Chicken is an excellent source of protein, which is essential to the bone structure of human beings - just 4 ounces will provide 67.6% of the daily protein value that your body needs. Buy Chicken In BulkReplyDelete
The leader board will reset after the first week and players will begin with a clean slate in the second week, which will run from December 22 to December 28. The online promotion runs identically in the second week. 카지노사이트ReplyDelete
Thanks for the post. Really thank you! Much obliged.ReplyDelete
best vietnamese food in singapore